This job is no longer active on TopSchoolJobs.org. Please contact the employer directly.
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that develops in each student an awareness of the role of technology education.
• Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in technology education to students, utilizing curriculum designated by Meridian Public Charter School.
• Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
• Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in DC law and administrative regulations and procedures of Meridian Public Charter School.
• Plans a technology education program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes activities for optimal learning.
• Instructs students in the proper use, care and safe handling of equipment.
• Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
• Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment and tools.
• Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions and field trips.
• Evaluates each student’s growth in knowledge and skills in the course being taught.
• Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
• Supervises students in assigned out of classroom activities during the working day.
• Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
• Administers testing in accordance with division testing practices.
• Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
• Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
• Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including student clubs and after-school activities.
• Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
• Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field. Must be eligible or possess DC License with the appropriate endorsement to teach Technology Education.
Communicate verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the public.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; and to bend, stoop, climb stairs, and reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school/classroom environment. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Supervision Exercised: Dependent on grade level and subject; may include instructional assistants, volunteers, tutors.
Supervision Received: Principal
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Teacher will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator. Newport News Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.