This job is no longer active on TopSchoolJobs.org. Please contact the employer directly.
PRINCIPAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Mission Statement – Grimmway Academy will close the achievement gap, graduating students at or above grade level in literacy and math.
Grimmway Academy, founded by the Grimm Family Education Foundation in August 2011, is an independent public charter school located in the city of Arvin, California. Opening with grades K-3, Grimmway Academy has added a new grade every school year and implements a blended learning model where students actively engage in unique learning programs in our Learning Lab, music program, physical education, and Edible Schoolyard. We are a “no excuse” school where we hold high expectations for our students, parents, teachers, and staff to ensure a supportive and successful learning environment on and off campus. The vision of Grimmway Academy is to transform the educational landscape for students in rural areas of Kern County by providing a model of excellence and innovation leading to college readiness and lifetime success.
The ideal Principal candidate is:
• A proven dynamic, motivational leader, where the majority of students are English Learners
• Passionate about the unique programs offered including, but not limited to the blended learning program, edible schoolyard, on-site healthy foods kitchen and activities related to the Academy’s Wellness Initiative
• Highly committed to high expectations and the ongoing development and well-being of its students, teachers and staff
The Principal's responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Leading the strategic instructional design and practice at Grimmway Academy, including overseeing instructional coaching and evaluation, systematic use of assessment data to guide instruction, and maximizing impact of the blended learning model
• Delivering consistently high levels of achievement and learning for all students through rigorous and engaging programs and classroom activities
• Implementing behavior management practices that ensure consistent norms of orderly, respectful behavior, motivating students through strong relationships with their teachers
• Facilitating and directing the Academy’s Special Education program
• Skillful leadership of all teachers, staff, and school leaders, including supervision, coaching, and performance management oversight
• Overseeing the Academy’s professional development program ensuring a strong, collaborative professional community, regular training opportunities and a meaningful summer experience
• Creating a student support system which addresses students’ academic and behavioral needs holistically and involves parents, teachers and all relevant staff
• Oversight and management over the school’s daily operations, including budget, care and upkeep of facilities and resources, student recruitment and admissions, and ensuring proper financial controls and budgeting systems
• Working professionally and collaboratively with the Grimm Family Education Foundation, including full engagement around the compliance and risk management activities, collegiality around the service functions, and honoring the roles and responsibilities outlined in the MOU
• Collaborating with the Foundation’s Human Resources executive to implement a highly effective talent management system of recruiting, selecting, hiring, retaining, recognizing and supporting all school site staff
• Participating in compliance with review and reporting requirements of the State of California, Kern County Superintendent of Schools (KCSOS) and Federal regulatory agencies, including charter school monitoring and the charter renewal process
• Acting as Grimmway Academy’s point person to the local community, effectively communicating the school’s mission and vision and soliciting input from parents and families about school performance, areas for improvement, and their needs
• Engaging and building strong working relationships with parents, characterized by timely and regular communications; involving parents, wherever possible, in the life of the school
• Cultivating partnerships with external organizations that enrich the culture of the school as well as strong working relationships with other local districts and charter authorizers
• Passion for improving educational opportunities for all students and for building a strong, highly effective organization aligned to this mission
• Demonstrated experience raising student achievement among a diverse group of learners, including low income students, non-native English speakers, students of color, and other traditionally underserved populations
• Personal connection to and/or experience working closely with English Language Learners and their families
• Knowledge of/experience with innovative school designs and instructional models, including those featuring 21st Century strategies like blended and personalized learning
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Strong, experienced manager with excellent leadership and team building skills
• Ability to productively organize, communicate and disseminate policies, strategies and tasks
• Familiarity with the developmental, behavioral, social and academic needs of students in the academic years
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• 3-5 plus years’ experience as a school leader (principal, vice-principal or academic dean)
• 3-5 years’ experience teaching at an at-risk elementary school and/or middle school
• Charter School experience preferred
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
• BA/BS required; MA or MEd preferred
• Current California or transferable School Administrator/Principal certification preferred
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a résumé and thoughtful cover letter to Barbara Grimm-Marshall, Founder and President of the Grimm Family Education Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 510.575.9635 for more information.
Grimmway Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package to all of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about Grimmway Academy, please visit our website at www.grimmwayacademy.com.