English Language Arts Teacher (Grades 6-8), HCZ Promise Academy
Harlem Children's Zone | New York NY 10035 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 04/16/2014
The mission of HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools is to provide a first-rate, year-round, extended-day, college-preparatory, K-12 education to students living in under-performing school districts. Our schools are rooted in the belief that all students are capable of academic and personal success when surrounded by parents, teachers, and mentors who not only hold them to highest of expectations, but also give them the individualized support they need to help them fulfill their potential. To this end, all children and their families have access to HCZ’s comprehensive network of supportive services. These services, combined with Promise Academy’s rigorous academic program, wide-ranging recreation opportunities, and high-quality enrichment activities, are designed to get students to and through college.
Opened in 2004, HCZ Promise Academy serves over 1,500 children in two elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools. Each year, more students and grades are added to Promise Academy I and II with plans ultimately to reach over 2,000 children. The academic year consists of 210 days of school, an increase over the 180 days required by law, which includes a 25-day mandatory summer program. The academic day runs from 8:00am to 4:00pm, approximately 20% longer than the vast majority of area public schools. Our schools consistently enforce a rigorous code of conduct and dress code, and emphasize personal relationships among students, teachers, and families.
HCZ Promise Academy is seeking a English Language Arts Teacher (Grades 6-8). The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and experience working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Ensure that the school’s academic standards are rigorous, clear, measurable, and aligned with New York State Learning Standards
- Develop curricula and activities that are aligned with the academic standards
- Develop assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards
- Ensure that students master grade-level standards
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g. exams, written work, and public performances) that frequently measure student progress toward the school’s content and skill standards
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 – 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification for English Language Arts, grades 7-12
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, a comprehensive benefits package, and a low student-teacher ratio. To be considered, interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. No telephone inquiries or recruiters please. Replies will only be sent to qualified applicants. HCZ is an EOE.
|Location||New York, NY, United States|
|Organization Type||Charter School|
|Grade Level||Elementary 4-6, Middle School/Junior High|
|Teaching field||English/Language Arts|
|Experience Years||2 yrs|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|