Chief School Compliance Officer (Vice President)
K12, Inc. | Herndon VA 20171 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 05/31/2013
Summary: The Chief School Compliance Officer ensures that all applicable laws and regulations are applied in connection with the company’s management of online public schools, blended schools and virtual learning programs of school districts. The Chief School Compliance Officer will design and implement a formal school compliance program covering over 50 managed online public schools with approximately 120,000 full time students as well virtual learning programs provided to over 2,000 school districts. The responsibilities for this position also include working in conjunction with school officials in developing, implementing, communicating and reviewing policies, procedures, systems and controls designed to enable these schools and programs to effectively mitigate risk and remain compliant and maintain accreditation.
Formulates and communicates policies and procedures for the prevention and detection of violations of law and regulation for managed public schools, and for school-based compliance that mitigates risk including establishing proper controls; Develops controls necessary to stay informed of changes in federal, state, regional and local regulatory requirements applicable to these schools;
Identifies, tracks and regularly reports on relevant compliance-related metrics; Assesses root causes for compliance issues, and makes recommendations to effectively address them;
Plans, develops and implements an internal program of audits that evaluate the accuracy of information and internal controls, the degree of internal and external risk, the potential exposure and the degree of compliance with all applicable internal and external guidelines, policies and regulations; Prepares detailed written management reports on audit findings, recommendations for improvements and corrective actions planned to mitigate risk; Follows-up on audit recommendations to assure correction of deficient or exposed areas;
Develops, coordinates and participates in training programs to ensure that employees are knowledgeable of and comply with pertinent regulatory standards and compliance policies;
Independently investigates compliance matters that are reported, and communicates findings in a prompt and thorough manner;
Develops external relationships with appropriate federal, state, regional and local organizations, professional compliance organizations, and other resources.
Participates in the process of accreditation approval, ensuring all required documentation is present to support any and all submissions, visits, responses and change requests;
Tracks and maintains inspection or site visit schedules; coordinates with school leadership to ensure preparation for any upcoming accrediting or regulatory body site visits;
Creates and maintains the executive summary of the current regulatory status of programs and policies;
Provides input regarding state, federal, and regulatory requirements and professional standards;
Participates in assessment activities that support accreditation processes.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree and
- Ten (10) years of experience in a corporate, legal or state education department setting or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience in developing and implementing corporate and school compliance programs, including training.
- Law degree and/or CCEP certification preferred
Other Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proven experience in leading a wide variety of compliance and accreditation activities for education institutions with demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and provide actionable summaries of complex issues, regulations and policies
- Knowledge of and experience in interpreting and explaining federal, state, regional and local regulations
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with demonstrated ability to manage and deliver upon multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and presentation Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint); Web proficiency.
- Ability to travel regularly
- Ability to pass required background check
EOE and Drug-Free Workplace
|Location||Herndon, VA, United States|
|Categories||Operations Director, Higher Ed/Professor/Dean|
|Organization Type||Charter School|
|Experience Years||10 yrs|
|Contact Name||Jennifer Serafin|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|