Chief Business & Operations Officer
La Canada Unified School District | La Canada CA 91011 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 04/19/2013
Brief Description of Position: Under the direction of the Superintendent, the Chief Business and Operations Officer administers the business affairs of the District as well as supervises the Manager of Facilities to ensure the best possible educational services with the financial and operational resources available. Responsible to and reporting directly to the Superintendent, this person is a member of Cabinet and Leadership team and is responsible for giving advice and recommendations on matters of finance, business, maintenance, operations, negotiations, and contract management.
School District: La Cañada Unified School District is a professional learning community with California’s second highest Academic Performance Index (API) ranking. Core values include academic achievement, personal growth, character development and collaboration. The residential community of La Cañada Flintridge is located in the foothills about 13 miles north of downtownLos Angeles. Composed principally of professionals in business and the arts, La Cañada Flintridge is also the home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Student enrollment is approximately 4,000 and is projected to decline somewhat over the next five years.
1. Previous Experience: Five years of recent, financial budget experience, including at least two years in a supervisory role. Preferred: experience in public school setting.
2. Education: Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or related field from an accredited college or university. Preferred: Master’s Degree in above.
Work Calendar: 12 month calendar. Position to begin on July 1, 2013.
Salary Range: Salary is competitive and negotiable, based upon experience. The District offers excellent benefits packages to employees working over 50% with District contribution up to $14,400.
1. Applicants must submit a District administrative application (available to print from the “Employment Opportunities” link at www.lcusd.net) with cover letter, resumé and three (3) letters of recommendation to the address listed below:
Patricia Hager, Assistant Superintendent, Human ResourcesLa Cañada Unified School District4490 Cornishon AvenueLa Cañada, CA 91011
2. After initial screening of all applications, selected candidates will be contacted regarding a personal interview. Interviews are expected to be held during the week of May 20.
Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m., Friday, May 17, 2013
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Examples of duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Directs and coordinates the business services and accounting services of the District.
- Directs and coordinates the operations and maintenance of the District facilities.
- Conducts the business affairs of the school district in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and procedures of the State of California, the County of Los Angeles, the local Governing Board, and such other agencies as have jurisdiction over the school district.
- Keeps informed and is available as a resource person for the District Superintendent and the Board of the latest trends and developments in all aspects of school business and related commercial business fields.
- Disseminates correct and up-to-date financial and enrollment information to the Board, the press and the community.
- Supervises the District’s supporting services, through the Directors of Fiscal Service and Manager of Facilities.
- Recommends staff development activities to maintain and update necessary skills for business, custodial and maintenance personnel.
- Evaluates all programs of the Business and Maintenance & Operation offices and the District as they affect the operation of those offices.
- Oversees developer fees.
- Implements and manages vendor and outside contracts.
- Manages surplus facilities.
- Represents the Fiscal Services Department to other District departments, elected officials and outside agencies; explains, justifies and defends department programs, policies and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant and controversial issues.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates Fiscal Services Department personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; recommends discipline and termination procedures.
- Assists the District in the collective bargaining process.
- Coordinates and manages matters related to the external auditing of various fiscal aspects of programs and offices in the District.
- Determines need, evaluates and secures District financing when applicable, working directly with legal counsel, bond rating agencies, the District-paid professional financial advisor, leasing companies and banks.
- Oversees the food services program; directly handles issues related to parent complaints.
- Oversees the preparation of required attendance reports for forwarding to the County, State and Federal offices.
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the District budget; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; directs the monitoring and disbursement of funds in accordance with the adopted budget; directs the preparation of and implements budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Invests District funds, prepares and disseminates financial reports.
- Includes responsibility for safety and loss prevention.
Must Have Knowledge Of:
- Principles and procedures of accounting, auditing and finance.
- Advanced principles and procedures used in budget preparation, administration and control.
- Fundamentals of school finance.
- Pertinent federal, California State and local laws, codes and regulations including laws and regulations applying to school district financial operations.
- Organization and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
- Data processing principles, methods, materials and equipment.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of program development and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Operational characteristics, services and activities of a comprehensive business services program.
Must Be Able To:
- Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the work of supervisory, professional and technical personnel.
- Delegate authority and responsibility.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Provide administrative and professional leadership and direction for the Business Services and District Operations Departments.
- Develop, implement and administer goals, objectives and procedures that provide effective and efficient fiscal services.
- Prepare and administer large and complex budgets; supervise payroll records.
- Interpret and apply budgeting, accounting and fiscal procedures, policies and regulations.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Research, analyze and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures and techniques.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Interpret and apply federal, state and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Analyze accounting data and prepare financial statements and reports.
- Plan and coordinate the purchasing of all equipment, supplies and services of the District.
- Monitor the preparation of warrants to pay for supplies, equipment, and services.
- Prepare bids and bid forms; opens, tabulates and analyzes bids.
- Assist all administrative personnel in locating information, prices, and suppliers of supplies.
- Explore and suggest ways to increase revenue and decrease expenditures.
- Plan and coordinate District transportation services.
- Analyze school plant needs and make recommendations to the Superintendent.
- Direct the maintenance, custodial and facility lease operations of the District.
- Direct the program of the use of school facilities by community groups.
- Administer District leases of school facilities by community groups.
- Administer District leases of school facilities and provide liaison between District and lessees.
- Direct the insurance programs of the District.
- Keep informed on the latest trends in areas of school insurance.
- Supervise maintenance of attendance accounting systems for all schools for budget analysis purposes and legal requirements.
- Attend all regularly scheduled Board meetings and special meetings as requested by the Superintendent.
- Prepare and present reports to the Board of a business or operational nature.
- Serve as a resource person for the Superintendent and the Board on business and operational matters.
- Accomplish reasonable duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Attend and participate in meeting of professional school business officials.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others.
|Location||La Canada, CA, United States|
|Categories||Operations Director, Finance/Business/CFO|
|Organization Type||Public School|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Contact Name||Patricia Hager|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|