This job is no longer active on TopSchoolJobs.org. Please contact the employer directly.
Founding Head of School, BVP High School (Opening Fall 2014)
Anticipated Start Date: August 1, 2013
Blackstone Valley Prep Mayoral Academy is now hiring a Founding Head of School for its high school opening its doors for the 2014-15 school year and who is willing to do whatever it takes to create a high performing high school where all scholars are prepared for college and the world beyond. We are looking for a diverse pool of applicants representing a multitude of experiences and backgrounds including those which mirror the rich diversity of the scholars we serve. Beginning in the 2013-14 school year with a full-year to design BVP’s first high school, the Founding Head of School will create a powerful vision and plan for executing an effective high school opening for the 2014-15 academic year. Blackstone Valley Prep is looking for a leader who:
• is dedicated to the belief that all scholars can achieve at high levels and succeed in college
• has a minimum of three (3) years teaching, holds a Master’s degree, and has or will be eligible for the appropriate RI certification
• has a track record of proven leadership •
• delivers exceptional results
• holds high expectations for self and others
• maintains a laser-like focus on student achievement
• uses data to drive his/her instructional leadership
• brings a sense of urgency—along with a sense of joy—to each day
• thrives in an entrepreneurial environment
• collaborates with a variety of stakeholders
• reflects on his/her practice and welcomes thoughtful feedback
• is highly organized
Blackstone Valley Prep is built on the mission of developing scholars to be successful in college and the world beyond. Curriculum and instruction at Blackstone Valley Prep is driven by state and Common Core standards with frequent assessment to determine student needs. Our school day and year are both extended. Held to high expectations by leaders and one another, our teachers collaborate to plan meaningful instruction designed to maximize learning time and achieve student mastery. Our school culture is built on PRIDE: Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Discipline and Enthusiasm. Every day, all of our staff and all of our students do whatever it takes to be successful. BVP team members create a positive academic learning environment that provides both structure and joy to build student investment and maintain a high level engagement throughout the school day.
Selected Areas of Responsibility: Planning Year (July 2013-June 2014)
• Guide the development of the 9-12 curriculum, school policies, systems, and structures.
• Hire instructional staff in collaboration with network staff.
• Plan professional development, including introductory summer institute for staff, in collaboration with network staff.
• Create a year one building schedule
• Support, coach and evaluate teachers to ensure the use of research-based instructional practices focused on student mastery via appropriate differentiation, interventions and enrichment
• Establish and maintain a culture of high academic expectations for all students
• Work with the Director of Academics to create and execute a yearlong schedule for professional development. Ensure professional development aligns with the mission, vision, and goals of the school
• Ensure the vertical and horizontal articulation of a rigorous, college-preparatory curriculum
• Analyze data to plan school-wide initiatives, instructional practices, and professional development that ensure learning for a diverse group of scholars
• Support the data-driven creation of Student Learning Objectives that are ambitious yet attainable
• Provide thoughtful feedback on lessons, assessments, and instruction that build scholars’ basic skills and higher order thinking skills
• Set a vision and inspire a school-wide culture which builds an exceptional academic, social, and emotional public school experience for scholars
• Build positive relationships with scholars and their families grounded in the belief that all scholars can achieve at high levels.
• Establish a strong school culture based on the vision, mission and philosophy of the school articulated in BVP’s charter.
• Create a safe, secure, orderly, and productive learning environment
• Model and promote respect for the diversity of student backgrounds, experiences, developmental and learning needs.
School Operations In cooperation with appropriate network staff:
• Ensure the school runs smoothly, efficiently and within budget
• Work with network staff to hire highly qualifed and mission-driven teachers and staff
• Ensure compliance with state regulations and requirements
Blackstone Valley Prep offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Blackstone Valley Prep Mayoral Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
In order to be considered for any position at Blackstone Valley Prep, you must submit a cover letter as an attachment when you must submit a cover letter as an attachment when you apply to any job listing located at our "careers" tab on our website, www.blackstonevalleyprep.org.