This job is no longer active on TopSchoolJobs.org. Please contact the employer directly.
Bullis Charter School | Los Altos CA 94022 USA | Full Time - School Year | Revised: 02/06/2013
Bullis Charter School (BCS) offers a collaborative, experiential learning environment that emphasizes individual student achievement. As a model of educational innovation, BCS inspires children, faculty and staff to reach beyond themselves to achieve their full potential. Using a global perspective to teach about the interconnectedness of communities and their environments, the BCS program nurtures mutual respect, civic responsibility and a lifelong love of learning.
Founded in 2003, BCS is a high-performing K-8 charter school located in Los Altos, CA currently serving over 500 students. BCS is led by Superintendent Wanny Hersey, an experienced educator and dynamic leader with more than 25 years of experience in education. In April of 2012, the BCS Board approved a strategic action plan that includes a feasibility study for expansion in North Santa Clara County. The BCS Board of Directors and Superintendent seek an Assistant Principal to provide the BCS staff with additional support and guidance as they balance potential programmatic expansion with the need to maintain high levels of student achievement.
The ideal Assistant Principal candidate is:
• Entrepreneurial, innovative and willing to try things that have not been done before in traditional public schools;
• Collaborative and a consensus-based leader;
• One who embodies a “do whatever it takes” attitude
• Passionately committed to the mission and the vision of BCS
The Assistant Principal's responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Coach teachers in the development of their goals and professional growth plans, including teachers who are committed to getting nationally board certified;
• Collaborate with teachers to establish specific, targeted student performance goals and create plans for curriculum, assessment, and instructional practice;
• Maintain primary focus on improving student outcomes and teacher quality.
• Manage student affairs and disciplinary issues with both students and families.
• Identify, recruit, and promote excellent teachers and other school personnel;
• Provide feedback to teachers and staff around successful leadership practices;
• Manage leadership teams (literacy, special education, teacher quality, etc.) to drive exceptional student achievement outcomes for all students.
• Manage annual performance review process for teachers, setting clear expectations, and providing documentation/evidence of progress;
• Creating opportunities for professional growth and developing innovative strategic compensation for staff including base salary, benefits and rewards;
• Serve on Superintendent's leadership team, including:
o Supporting the Superintendent in the day-to-day operation of the school;
o Providing leadership expertise to the Superintendent in areas such as enrollment, teacher evaluation, special education and curriculum adoption;
o Creating a collaborative and open communication line between district departments, driving alignment of strategic vision and a shared understanding of challenges at the school level;
o Establishing a strong relationship with the county office and managing all reporting requirements around the charter (i.e. student achievement and other school data).
• Attend school-site meetings and events to foster a culture of engagement among students, parents, and other community stakeholders;
• Develop constructive partnerships with parents and families to engage them in everyday activities and leverage their areas of expertise in supporting the whole school community;
• Build strong relationships with all internal and external stakeholders, ensuring a common understanding of the school’s vision for student success.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate competencies in the following areas:
Instructional Expertise and Achievement Focus
• Understands and supports project-based learning;
• Proven ability to develop and deliver personalized learning and differentiated instruction;
• Strong knowledge of high-quality instructional practices in a K-8 school;
• Deep knowledge of pedagogy and a proven track record of using data to drive results;
• Ability to serve as a coach and mentor to lead others in high-quality instructional practices;
• Experience effectively handling student affairs and disciplinary issues with both students and families.
Strategic Planning and Effective Execution
• Exhibits strong focus on goals and results, setting clear metrics of success for all students;
• Offers innovative, cutting-edge solutions to continually move BCS forward and be a model school;
• Demonstrates excellent execution and project management skills under tight deadlines;
• Ability to manage growth and change with a school that has expanded its student population annually;
• Demonstrates ability to build systems and policies necessary to bring solutions to scale;
• Comfortable working in fluid environments and quickly adaptable to change.
• Exhibits strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to develop, articulate and build buy-in to an organizational vision and mission with internal and external stakeholders;
• Actively listens to others and effectively interprets others' motivations and perceptions;
• Holds self personally responsible for ensuring high academic achievement of all students;
• Proven experience working in a high-pressure and sometimes politically-charged environment;
• Open and honest communicator who is visible and accessible.
• Collaborates, motivates and inspires other adults to action to achieve ambitious goals;
• Moves groups to consensus and exhibits willingness to have difficult conversations;
• Builds coalitions, and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including but not limited to district personnel, students, families, communities, and/or advocacy groups;
• Continually finding ways to tap into the amazing resources of the parents of BCS students.
• Minimum of 3 years classroom teaching experience required (5 or more years preferred);
• Prior experience as an Assistant Principal (or equivalent) or a similar administrative position at an elementary school strongly preferred;
• Charter school and CA school law knowledge desired;
• Demonstrated experience in developing strategic performance-based compensation systems;
• Experience with state compliance metrics and managing data systems for student assessment, attendance, and other record-keeping preferred but not required;
• Administrative credential strongly preferred (current CA Tier I or Tier II or proof of eligibility for either);
• Master's degree in education or related field required.
SALARY RANGE: $100 – 120k inclusive of all benefits
Bullis Charter School offers a comprehensive benefits package to all of its employees. Bullis Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Wanny Hersey at email@example.com or call us at 510.575.9635 for more information.
|Location||Los Altos, CA, United States|
|Organization Type||Charter School|
|Grade Level||Elementary 1-3, Elementary 4-6, Middle School/Junior High|
|Contact Name||Clair Tannenbaum|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|