COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION
Government of Bermuda | Hamilton HM12 BMU | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 01/30/2013
Governement of Bermuda | The Cabinet Office
Department of Human Resources
Ministry of Education
COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION
PS 46 $171,893 (US$ equivalent)
Department of Education
The Ministry of Education seeks an outstanding, experienced and well-respected educational leader to serve as our next Commissioner of Education. We are looking for an individual with exceptional talents, high emotional intelligence and a well-established track record of system-wide improvement and achievement to lead the transformation of Bermuda’s public education system.
Working under the direction of the Permanent Secretary, the future Commissioner of Education must have a 21st century vision, philosophy and approach to comprehensive and inclusive education. He or she will be responsible for all aspects of the operations of the Department of Education, including the supervision of 3 directors and overall responsibility for public schools, early learning, curriculum and assessment, special education, professional development, and business operations.
The successful candidate must:
- inspire a common vision of leadership and achievement in schools and within the central office;
- have a visible, participatory management style and be able to be inclusive in decision-making;
- develop and build the capacity of staff and the education system to significantly improve achievement and outcomes for all of our students;
- establish and maintain co-operative working relationships within the Department of Education and schools, and with parents, key stakeholders and the wider community;
- be an excellent communicator with impeccable written, expressive and receptive language skills;
- be open-minded, reflective and committed to lifelong learning;
- demonstrate in-depth knowledge of pedagogy inclusive of core curricula, differentiation, effective instruction, accountability systems, assessments and implementation strategies;
- promote and oversee the development of exemplary learning environments; and
- effectively manage a budget surpassing $100 million within current fiscal realities.
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of fifteen (15) years of relevant experience, including ten (10) years of experience at a senior executive management level or have equivalent experience. The successful candidate must have a Master’s degree in Educational Administration or equivalent, together with a professional qualification in an education discipline. All applicants must be eligible to be registered with the Bermuda Educators Council.
Applicants interested in being considered for the above post MUST complete a security vetting form in addition to the application form, and provide copies of academic and professional qualifications and other relevant documents. Short listed applicants may be required to undergo an assessment. Resumes are welcomed but must be accompanied by a completed application form. These documents are available at www.gov.bm.
This position will be offered on a three (3) year contract term. Persons wishing to be considered for the position may view the full advert and submit a completed Government of Bermuda application form, both of which can be downloaded from www.gov.bm quoting the appropriate reference number, to the Secretary of the Public Service Commission, 3rd Floor, Ingham and Wilkinson Building, 129 Front Street, Hamilton HM 12, BERMUDA. email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax: 441-295-2858.
Closing date: March 15th, 2013.
Bermuda is a beautiful small island, with a favourable climate, friendly community and great opportunities for outdoor activities. The public education system consists of 5,000 students, 1100 staff, an early intervention programme, 10 preschools, 18 primary schools, 5 middle schools, 2 senior schools, a special school and an alternative programme. For more information about the Ministry of Education, Government of Bermuda please visit our website at www.moed.bm.
|Experience Years||15 yrs|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|