Director of Mizzou K-12 Online
College of Education | Columbia MO 65211 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 01/10/2013
University of Missouri - College of Education
Director of Mizzou K-12 Online
The College of Education at the University of Missouri (MU) seeks an innovative, experienced, and entrepreneurial leader to serve as Director of Mizzou K-12 Online. This position provides leadership in the ongoing development and operations of Mizzou K-12 Online to achieve the program’s mission and vision providing high-quality, affordable online education to K-12 students while contributing to the teaching and research mission of the College of Education. Mizzou K-12 Online course are engaging, interactive, standards-based, instructor-facilitated digital learning experiences that prepare students for success in postsecondary education and in 21st century careers. The Director of Mizzou K-12 Online will supervise all aspects of the development and delivery of the virtual instructional program for students by building a culture of continuous improvement, collaborating with internal and external partners to secure high-quality content and digital resources, interacting with College faculty and staff to embed virtual K-12 instruction into teaching and research, and interacting with district/charter/private school personnel and parents and other educational entities to advance the program’s impact. Additional information about Mizzou K-12 can be found at http://mizzouk12online.missouri.edu. This position reports to the Dean of Education.
Work closely with the following Mizzou K-12 Online teams to achieve program goals and objectives:
- The instructional design team to supervise the development and maintenance of high quality online courses for K-12 students ensuring a focus on inquiry-based instruction using digital resources and materials.
- The instructional team to supervise the delivery of courses ensuring frequent and meaningful feedback to students so that formative assessments guide instruction.
- The student support team to supervise the front-line communications, registration and fee payment processes and other routine customer interactions to ensure smooth and efficient operations.
Oversee an active program of research to test course offerings, technology affordances, and learner outcomes in cooperation with MU College of Education faculty.
Collaborate with MU College of Education faculty to maximize the use of their pedagogical expertise in the development of Mizzou K-12 Online courses and to incorporate Mizzou K-12 Online operations (e.g., administration, curriculum and instruction, etc.) into undergraduate and graduate experiences where appropriate.
Work with College of Education faculty, staff, and other University departments or units in the preparation and submission of applicable grant applications, requests for proposals (RFPs), and other potential external funding sources to support Mizzou K-12 Online program activities and to support related faculty research activities.
Collaborate with MU College of Education strategic communications staff to develop and maintain outreach and marketing programs to provide exposure for the Mizzou K-12 Online program to all potential program customers including public, private, and charter schools and parents. Work with other external stakeholders to increase the visibility of Mizzou K-12 Online through approved co-marketing strategies.
Establish positive rapport with contacts in schools, educational entities, parents, and UM and state-level education stakeholders. Supervise the delivery of virtual program content to Mizzou K-12 Online students via the program’s Learning Management System (Moodle) and synchronous communication system. Monitor instructional staff interactions with parents and students. Provide timely responses to questions from parents and district/educational entity contacts by email, or other arrangement as appropriate.
Recruit, interview, and supervise all Mizzou K-12 Online staff and provide timely annual performance evaluations to ensure delivery of program services.
Arrange and supervise professional development experiences for Mizzou K-12 Online staff, organize and direct appropriate committees and work groups, and ensure the overall effectiveness and efficiency of Mizzou K-12 Online.
Develop and implement program budget. Provide MU College of Education fiscal personnel with current financial information according to the normal fiscal year calendar.
Prepare periodic reports for Dean of the College of Education to reflect progress of program development, overall student progress, issues, concerns, and suggestions for improvement utilizing continuous quality process measures.
Provide leadership in evaluating and using new and emerging technologies to enhance learning outcomes via online or virtual course offerings.
Remain informed about state and national standards and policies affecting online and virtual education in order to ensure Mizzou K-12 Online program alignment with applicable standards and policies (e.g., NCAA eligibility requirements). Coordinate all policies and standards with those set by the University of Missouri and the MU College of Education.
- A Master’s degree in Education.
- A minimum of three years’ experience with online or virtual education – either as an administrator, instructional team lead, or in another leadership role.
- Knowledge of leadership practices that contribute to authentic collaborative working relationships.
- Demonstrated knowledge of synchronous and asynchronous inquiry-based learning methodologies. Experience with multimedia distance instructional technologies (including computing devices, use of Learning Management Systems, synchronous VoIP audio/video programs, and other productivity software).
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter, self-motivated.
- Willingness and ability to travel within the state of Missouri and outside of Missouri on an occasional overnight basis.
- A Specialist's degree or higher in Education.
- Five years’ experience with online or virtual education – either as an administrator, instructional team lead, or in another leadership role.
- Experience supervising staff in the design and/or delivery of online/virtual educational experiences.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in designing, developing, and leading online or virtual education programs.
- Demonstrated contributions to online/virtual education professional communities through conference presentations, professional newsletters, and/or scholarly publications.
The College of Education (COE) is ranked among the top doctoral granting colleges of education in the country. The COE recently completed a new strategic plan and is financially well positioned to invest in opportunities for innovative ideas in support of the new plan. Annual expenditures for externally funded projects are approximately $12 million with funded projects in research, instruction and public service. The research portfolio has increased significantly in recent years, and is poised for continued significant strategic growth. The College is a leader on the campus and is nationally recognized for its distance and online education programs.
Salary/Starting Date: Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Starting date is negotiable.
Application: Apply on-line at http://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic/index.php. Upload a letter of application in which candidates describe in detail their qualifications for the position and names and contact information for in the Attachments section of the application. Your CV must be uploaded in the Resume/CV and Cover Letter section. Review of applications will begin January 15, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding the position may be addressed to: Mike Pullis, Associate Dean, at: PullisM@missouri.edu or (573) 882-8192.
MU complies with guidelines set forth by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you have special needs as addressed by this legislation, and need assistance with this or any portion of the application process, please contact our ADA Coordinator, 573-884-7717. Efforts will be made to accommodate your special needs. MU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and specifically invites and encourages applications from women and minorities.
|Location||Columbia, MO, United States|
|Categories||Human Resources/Talent Management, Evaluation/Assessment/Testing, Director/Manager/Coordinator|
|Experience Years||3 yrs|
|Contact Name||Rosemary Fleharty|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|