Superintendent of Schools
Charles County Public Schools | La Plata MD 20646 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 12/14/2012
Superintendent of Schools
A high performing Maryland school system seeks a passionate advocate for children who is an innovative, energetic and visionary instructional leader with demonstrated success in improving student achievement, building consensus through effective communication, and representing the fiscal needs of the system.
- Provides residents with a high quality of life by having an exceptional prekindergarten to grade 12 public education system, close proximity to Washington, D.C., a mix of suburban and rural living options, waterways and shoreline, excellent health care, and access to accredited institutions of higher education.
- Serves nearly 26,700 students in 35 world-class schools, which are part of the nationally ranked Maryland public education system that has placed first in the nation four consecutive years.
- Offers integration of top technology in the instructional environment for teachers and students.
The Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE) is conducting the Superintendent Search. Application review begins January 18, 2013. Position starts July 1, 2013. Minimum salary: $200,000.
The position will start on July 1, 2013, upon the retirement of the current Superintendent, who has served for 17 years.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An innovative, energetic visionary who will lead a high achieving school system by implementing strategies to promote continued academic growth
- A passionate advocate with superior interpersonal skills who can successfully collaborate with a highly engaged and diverse community of students, parents, staff, educators, citizens, business partners, and elected officials
- A consensus builder who will communicate effectively and honestly with all stakeholders; is able to build support for the public schools, and will be visible and active in Charles County schools and the community
- An experienced instructional leader who has demonstrated success in improving student achievement, embracing technology, narrowing the achievement gap, and understanding the challenges of a growing rural/suburban, economically, and culturally diverse school system
- An administrator with proven financial and budgeting skills who will set priorities, assess needs, and allocate resources to advance the system’s goals and can articulate the needs to the public and funding officials
- A decisive administrator who respects, motivates, and empowers staff, recognizes success; promotes accountability; and accepts ultimate responsibility.
The preferred candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Maryland Certification as superintendent is required
- Doctorate preferred
- At least five years administrative/executive level experience in public education
- Knowledge of the Maryland education system, laws, funding curriculum and assessment
- If not a current resident, the successful candidate will relocate and become an active member of the Charles County community.
|Location||La Plata, MD, United States|
|Organization Type||Public School|
|Grade Level||Pre-School/Early Childhood, Elementary 1-3, Elementary 4-6, Middle School/Junior High, High School|
|Contact Name||Maryland Association of Board of Education (MABE)|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|