This job is no longer active on TopSchoolJobs.org. Please contact the employer directly.
Superintendent of Schools
East Providence School Department
East Providence, Rhode Island
The East Providence Budget Commission and East Providence School Committee seek an articulate and respected educator to serve as its Superintendent of Schools.
The Superintendent reports to the East Providence Budget Commission and a five-member elected School Committee that is responsible for the care, control and management of East Providence Public Schools. Facilities include one (1) early childhood center, eight (8) elementary schools, two (2) middle schools, one (1) high school and an adjoining career and technical center.
The School Department, with a Fiscal Year 2012-2013 Budget of $71.1 million, serves approximately 5,500 students from preschool to grade 12. The central office administration provides support and leadership to approximately 800 certified and non-certified staff. Current consolidated offices with the City of East
Providence include the following: Finance, Facilities, Technology, and Human Resources (which is currently in process). Other administrative offices include: Curriculum and Instruction, Pupil Personnel Services (Special Education and related services), English Language Learner/English as a Second Language, and Transportation.
East Providence Public Schools offer a comprehensive and inclusive K-12 curriculum with a focus on early intervention. Through the process of strategic planning, the Department has identified literacy, writing and math as areas for continued improvement. The Superintendent will be charged with developing a new strategic plan with accompanying goals to achieve the following objectives:
1. Student proficiency in English/Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science on the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP); and
2. Student proficiency in each of the content areas, the arts, and technology through Applied Learning demonstrating college and career readiness.
East Providence School District Website: http://www.epschoolsri.com/
Personal and Professional Standard Selection Criteria:
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience, skills and capacities in the following subject areas:
• Developing a budget that implements the academic goals of the school system within the fiscal realities of the City;
• Establishing and maintaining a cooperative and productive working relationship with the East Providence Budget Commission, East
Providence School Committee, staff, students, parents, city government, and community;
• Developing and implementing guaranteed and viable curriculum as well as promoting professional development for all staff;
• Directing long range planning, establishing strategies to implement goals, and evaluating progress to identify improvement opportunities;
• Utilizing a visible, participatory management style with the ability to be inclusive in decision making;
• Implementing a human capital management system that provides ongoing evaluation information to guide continuous improvement of all staff, assigns staff based on student needs, and engages in practices to attract and retain talented staff;
• Developing clear and measurable expectations to improve academic performance to meet accountability goals;
• Using data to inform fiscal and programmatic decisions;
• Successful team building and leadership ability as well as excellent communication skills.
Skills, Education & Experience:
• Verification of certification or eligibility to be certified as a Superintendent of Schools in Rhode Island;
• Strong academic credentials: Master’s degree required; doctorate preferred;
• At least three (3) years of school administrative experience required; Superintendent experience preferred; and
• Successful experience in school finance and business management. Compensation & Benefits:
A multi-year contract will be offered with a regionally competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience. The contract will include a competitive benefits package.
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, a current resume with three (3) recent references, and a verification of certification or eligibility to be certified as a Superintendent of Schools in Rhode Island.
Materials should be provided through the SchoolSpring web site at www.schoolspring.com. In addition, candidates must submit a hard copy of their resume to:
East Providence School Department
Human Resources Department – Superintendent Position
80 Burnside Avenue
Riverside, RI 02915
All materials must be received by Friday, December 28, 2012 at 3:00 P.M.
No emailed applications or phone calls, please.
The East Providence School Department is an EEO/AA employer.