CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER, NEW VISIONS CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL
NEW VISIONS FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS | Brooklyn NY 11201 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 12/03/2012
Organizational Mission and Vision
New Visions Charter High Schools (NVCHS) provide all students, regardless of their previous academic history, the highest quality education in an atmosphere of respect, responsibility and rigor. We ensure that our students have the skills and knowledge to graduate ready for college, pursue a career, and engage with the 21st century economy. We develop learning experiences that allow risk-taking, cultivate students’ imaginative and creative abilities, and celebrate achievement. Through an intensive study of math concepts in our math and science schools, and literature, English, social studies and arts in our humanities schools, students learn how to generate research questions, develop the skills necessary to answer those questions, create products that demonstrate understanding, and defend their knowledge publicly.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is critical to the successful and efficient running of the New Visions Charter High School for the Humanities III. The COO oversees operational performance through managing finance, administration, technology, compliance and general school operations, in order to support student achievement and financial success. At full growth, each school will comprise over 60 staff and close to 600 students. The COO will report to the Principal and manage the school’s Operations team. S/he will work closely and collaboratively with the Principal and will be a member of the site’s Leadership Team.
The COO is responsible for all matters of school administration that do not directly relate to instruction or student behavior. This role is essential to the New Visions Charter School model, which intentionally relieves the Principal of non-instructional obligations so that s/he can focus on student achievement and professional development of the teaching staff.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The COO manages a department that is responsible for all operational functions. S/he must have strong project management skills. S/he is directly responsible for implementing and maintaining systems, resources and routines to facilitate student achievement and financial success in non-instructional areas. The COO must work closely with the New Visions Charter Management Organization (CMO) to ensure that the school implements best practices in all of these areas. A more detailed list of responsibilities is attached.
- BS in Business, Accounting or Finance, Masters Degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of operations management experience and/or project management experience required.
- Experience working in an urban school setting strongly preferred with previous charter school experience, a plus.
- Demonstrated success in monitoring budgets in excess of $7 million and in managing contracts of at least $ 100,000.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff including experience managing cross-functional teams to develop and implement systems and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of a growing organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to the school vision and mission.
- Experience and zeal for working in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines coupled with the ability to think and act strategically.
Detailed Job Responsibilities
Finance and Purchasing
- Work with the school Principal, New Visions CMO and the Charter Board of Trustees to implement and manage the school’s budget.
- Review monthly financial reports and update monthly financial estimates.
- Coordinate with New Visions Charter team on the preparation and submission of all Federal, State, and Local grant applications and reporting.
- Provide financial oversight including invoice approval and budget development, tracking delivery and maintaining inventory.
- Manage payroll processes in conjunction with New Visions CMO.
- Oversee, in coordination with New Visions CMO, year-end audits as well as any site audits from State or Federal agencies.
Student Information and Reporting
- Oversee implementation of all student information systems.
- Coordinate with New Visions CMO with regard to all data analysis and reporting
- Manage student recruitment process including outreach and tours for parents.
- In conjunction with the New Visions CMO, ensure that the new student lottery is implemented in compliance with law, and maintain student waiting list according to State law.
- Transmit student transfer/withdrawal paperwork to and/or from students’ former or current schools.
- Serve as primary HR liaison for the school and manage the following functions:
- Recruiting and hiring business and operations staff.
- Overseeing new hire and termination procedures.
- Managing performance process, including goal-setting and regular feedback mechanisms for business and operations staff.
- Ensuring adequate staffing levels through use of temporary staffing resources, including classroom teachers.
- Ensuring that essential personnel policies and procedures are followed in a timely manner.
- Directly manage, at full growth, a department of at least 10 non-instructional staff including Business Manager, Parent Coordinator, School Secretary and Non-Teaching Aides.
- Deploy Operational staff so that all critical operational functions are covered and carried out efficiently.
- Actively participate on the school’s leadership team.
- Manage school nutrition program, including managing staff and vendors for breakfast, lunch, and snacks.
- Oversee all aspects of free and reduced lunch programs including managing entire application process.
- Manage student transportation via bus and other modes of transportation for arrival, dismissal and field trips.
- Coordinate process of late passes, bathroom passes, and any other authorized student movement within the building.
- Oversee staff maintaining systems to address facility needs (lighting, repairs in rooms, etc.) and ensure that facility and systems are designed to maximize student learning.
- Oversee the purchasing and maintenance of technology equipment and implementation of technology training in partnership with the New Visions CMO Technology team.
- With the assistance of the New Visions CMO, ensure that the school completes all required Federal, State and Local compliance activities on time and completely.
- Understand accountability metrics and annual reporting required of charter schools and oversee the submission of all accountability metrics.
- Serve as Hearing Officer in cases when a student has violated the school’s Code of Conduct and a removal from school is contemplated. The role of the Hearing Officer is to preside over a hearing and, based on the evidence, make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees as to the appropriate disciplinary consequences for the student.
Submit cover letter, resume and salary history in PDF or Word format to email@example.com. Please indicate in your cover letter on which job board you viewed this position.
Candidates must be able to start in winter 2013 for a July 1st opening.
Only candidates who closely fit the qualifications will be contacted for an interview
New Visions for Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Location||Brooklyn, NY, United States|
|Organization Type||For-profit Organization|
|Grade Level||High School|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|