Assistant Superintendent of Special Education
Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District | Traverse City MI 49684 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 12/11/2012
Anyone interested in this position should apply on-line at www.tbaisd.org under employment opportunities. Applicants applying on-line should include as an attachment their cover letter, resume and transcripts. Posting deadline – December 27, 2012; 5:00 p.m.
STARTING DATE: January, 2013
- Michigan full approval as director of special education.
- Minimum of five years experience as an administrator of special education.
- Demonstrated ability in the organization and supervision of special education programs.
- Master’s degree or higher in educational administration or related field.
TERMS: 12 month position, two (2) year contract renewable annually, subject to all rules and regulations covering professional personnel and as a minimum the fringe benefits covering the professional employees.
EVALUATION Performance will be evaluated by the Superintendent.
JOB GOALS: To provide leadership in developing, achieving and maintaining a quality special
education program on behalf of the constituent districts within TBAISD.
1. Work actively to insure use of best practices and research driven special education programs.
2. Recommend employment of all professional and nonprofessional staff for special education.
3. Deploy professional and nonprofessional staff.
4. Prepare and administer day to day special education budget and assist in the preparation of the
5. Provide the leadership and initiative necessary to organize and operate or contract for
operation of special education programs in cooperation with constituent school districts and
within policies established by the board and administrative regulations approved by the superintendent.
6. Provide administrative functions relating to staff, curriculum, facilities, finance and students for the
special education programs established in constituent districts or at the ISD.
7. Assume the leadership and development of clear and concise recommendations to the superintendent's
advisory committee for special education.
8. Provide for the growth of staff assigned to the special education department.
9. Provide direction to the special education directors to insure they are properly carrying out the
evaluations and other functions assigned to the special education department.
10. Assume the responsibility for the preparation of reports, as required, to local, state, and federal
agencies and submit such reports within the deadlines specified by the agency originating the report.
11. Assist in the development of policies and administrative regulations as needed by the District.
12. Interpret the special education programs to the constituent school districts and to the community at large.
13. Work with Policy Committees, Superintendent Councils, Citizen Advisory Groups, etc., to develop,
review and evaluate special education programs and services. Work as an advisor to the SEPAC.
14. Has the full responsibility, assisted by the Planning Officer, for the development of the ISD
Special Education Plan, as prescribed by the rules and regulations of the Michigan Department
of Education, and under policies developed by the Board of Education and administrative regulations
approved by the Superintendent.
15. Acts as liaison between the Michigan Department of Education and constituent districts to keep lines of
16. Demonstrated understanding of ESEA Act and Michigan school improvement process.
17. Communicate effectively regarding the special education program with staff, constituent districts
and community members.
18. Work effectively with administrative cabinet members to ensure continuous improvement,
collaboration and effectiveness through the organization.
19. Provide mentorship and leadership development for special education administrators including
service area directors, center administrators and staff members with recognized leadership
20. Assist the superintendent with matters relating to labor relations such as collective bargaining and
related ancillary duties.
21. Accomplish other tasks as may be assigned by the superintendent.
|Location||Traverse City, MI, United States|
|Teaching field||Special Education|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Contact Name||Renee Childers|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|