Associate Chief School Administrator/Principal, The Day School
The Day School at the Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh PA 15217 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 11/16/2012
Associate Chief School Administrator/Principal
The Day School at the Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh
The Day School seeks an experienced, dynamic educational leader to serve as its Associate Chief School Administrator/Principal (Principal) to work as part of a dynamic administrative team to carry on the tradition of excellence in education. This position is open due to the Spring 2012 retirement of the current Principal after many years of dedicated and excellent service. The Principal directs all aspects of teaching and learning, ensuring standards and practices that promote academic and behavioral excellence. The Principal provides leadership for the curriculum, instructional practices, teaching staff, and student learning and success. The Principal reports to the Chief School Administrator and works alongside The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh’s (CI) Leadership Council and The Day School Leadership Team to maintain effective stakeholder communications and relations, as well as school practices aligned with the CI and The Day School’s mission, vision, and core beliefs; the CI Board policies; and the Pennsylvania Department of Education regulations and legal statutes. The Principal provides general supervision of all Day School employees. The current Chief School Administrator will mentor and groom the successful Associate Chief School Administrator/Principal to foster a smooth transition. Candidates with a career goal of leading an approved private school at some point in their career are encouraged to apply.
The Principal is primarily responsible for cultivating a learning environment in which teachers and community partners collaborate to develop the best teaching practices which will allow our students to excel and realize their full potential. This includes:
* Providing leadership, management and monitoring needed to ensure that the educational mission is fulfilled for all students
* Assisting in the direction of school operations, the maintenance of services and the implementation of new programs and/or processes (e.g. disciplinary measures, curriculum, placement procedures, Extended School Year, plant operations, community-based instruction, etc.) for the purposes of providing services within established time frames and in compliance with Federal, State, and local requirements
* Facilitating and coordinating personnel activities in The Day School such as hiring/dismissing staff, providing general supervision, enhancing productivity of personnel and conducting evaluations of The Day School staff.
* Describing and assigning specific duties and accountabilities to all staff in The Day School
* Assisting in preparation of budget and salary schedules for all staff. Assisting in monitoring budget allocations, expenditures, and related financial activities for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate, expenses are within budget and fiscal practices are followed.
* Directing and approving grouping and scheduling of The Day School students
* Completing or supervising the completion of all license forms, reports, etc. required by the state or other agencies
* Chairing or facilitating meetings (e.g. curriculum, safety, committees, IEP’s, staff, special education parent groups, etc.) for the purpose of identifying issues, coordinating activities, and ensuring that outcomes are achieved.
* Collaborating with internal and external personnel (e.g. within The Day School and The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh; school districts) in order to fulfill the needs and expectations of The Day School and The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh
* Serving as a liaison with parents, local school districts, the PA Department of Education and other outside agencies
* Assuring that The Day School conforms and complies with all applicable laws, regulations, mandated requirements, and standards regarding program, students, and staff
* Participating in and/or assisting in the development of marketing events as required by The Day School and/or CI
* Serving on local, national, etc. committees as required by The Day School and/or CI
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The successful Associate Chief School Administrator/Principal candidate will be an experienced and tested special education leader who possesses a combination of the following:
* Minimum of five (5) years of recent special education teaching or related service in special education programs and services
* Minimum of three (3) years of school administration/experience, Special Education Administration preferred
* A Master’s Degree in Special Education from an approved college or university mandatory; PhD a plus
* Certification in the State of Pennsylvania K – 12 Principal, or someone who is certified in another state who could quickly become certified in PA
* Certification in the State of Pennsylvania in Special Education Supervision, or someone who is certified in another state who could quickly become certified in PA
* Current and valid certification in CPR and First Aid is required
* Action oriented: identifies and seizes opportunities
* Decision quality: makes good, timely decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
* Ethics and values: has unwavering ethical and moral judgment and behavior
* Integrity and trust: is seen as a direct, trustworthy and honest individual
* Motivating others: creates a climate in which individuals want to do their best, makes those around them feel that their work is important
* Manages vision and purpose: can motivate and inspire excellence in daily management and future thinking
This position offers an attractive salary, defined contribution retirement savings plan, and a generous benefits package, consistent with other nonprofit organizations of similar size, scope and scale.
Please visit http://www.deweykaye.com/jobswatch for the full job announcement and how to apply.
Deadline to apply: Noon on Monday, December 10, 2012.
Please direct all inquiries related to this position to Vantagen and do not contact The Day School at the Children’s Institute.
The Day School at the Children’s Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
|Location||Pittsburgh, PA, United States|
|Categories||Head of School/Principal, Special Education Director|
|Organization Type||Independent/Private School|
|Grade Level||Pre-School/Early Childhood, Elementary 1-3, Elementary 4-6, Middle School/Junior High, High School|
|Teaching field||Special Education|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Contact Name||Dawn Kopp|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|