Middle and Senior High School Instructional Directors
LAUSD | CA 90017 USA | Full Time - 12 Month | Revised: 04/23/2012
About the Position
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) is seeking accomplished educators with considerable experience and success aligning student and school needs with District initiatives. Strong instructional leaders are encouraged to apply for Middle School Instructional Director and Senior High School Instructional Director positions.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The individuals chosen to fill these positions will serve as a key leader on the Local Educational Service Team to align student needs at middle schools or senior high schools respectively with the resources to ensure academic success. The individuals wil assist in the development and implementation of the instructional program; plan strategically; mentor and evaluates principals; lead professional development; and utilizes accountability measures to ensure that all schools excel in meeting their goals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and coaches principals on a daily basis; training them and providing them with the support they need to raise student achievement in their schools
- Assesses carefully the pedagogical details of the school improvement plan in every school, helping principals set key objectives for learning and measurable benchmarks
- Ensures that staffing patterns, student grouping plans, scheduling, and organizational structures are appropriate to desired student outcomes
- Uses data to drive instructional changes at schools by analyzing and determining next steps based on:
- disaggregated state test scores;
- school walkthroughs;
- collections of student work; and
- interim assessments
- Puts in place an infrastructure for professional development of principals, administrators, and school staff
- Supports school administrators and stakeholders as they align budgets with the needs of students to ensure that rigorous instructional programs and effective support services are delivered to all students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and resources to increase graduation and reduce drop-outs rates
- Assists administrators to create a learning environment that promotes equity and high expectations for academic achievement
- Establishes and maintains communication with parents and the community regarding accountability for results, and ensures that all parent education and involvement activities promote and are aligned with district student achievement goals
- At least eight (8) years of successful full-time service in a public school certificated position, no fewer than three (3) years in a leadership position.
- At least five (5) years of successful full-time Pre-K – 12 public school teaching experience.
- Valid California Administrative Services Credential (Out-of-state applicants must qualify for a California credential upon selection.)
- Master’s degree or advanced degree of equivalent standard from an accredited college or university
- Completion of required Multicultural Education and Master Plan coursework (Out-of-District Candidates have one year to complete this requirement.)
NOTE: All minimum requirements must be met on or before the filing deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that appropriate documentation is on file with Human Resources. For additional information, please call (213) 241-6886.
- Leadership experience as a principal demonstrated by a successful track record of improved student achievement.
- Demonstrates sophisticated understanding and ability to apply theories of:
- Student growth and development
- Group process, communications, and organizational planning
- Job-embedded technologies
- Differentiated instructional strategies for struggling students
- Standardized, authentic, observational, and alternative assessments
- Understands and can support the instructional needs of:
- English Language learners at all stages of English acquisition
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged students
- Special Education students
- Students identified as gifted
- Students of various languages and cultures so as to reduce the achievement gap and create a warm and respectful environment for learning.
- A background in designing and delivering staff development.
To be considered, you must submit the following as attachments:
1. Cover letter that describes your success in the following areas:
a. Promoting a culture of shared accountability
b. Building the effectiveness of staff
c. Utilizing student data to identify and design instructional strategies to address the needs of a student subgroup.
2. Current resume (include employee number, if a District employee)
3. List of three (3) references and contact information that includes your current and next most recent supervisor(s). References will be verified for all applicants who are finalists for the positions.
If you would like to be considered for both Senior High and Middle School levels, please state the levels in your cover letter and describe your experiences accordingly. Please note that only one cover letter and resume will be accepted regardless if you are applying for more than one school level.
Email attachments to Human Resources at email@example.com and include the following in the Subject Line of the email: High School Instructional Director; Applicant Name.
Please be advised that meeting the stated minimum requirements does not ensure an invitation to an interview.
Salary: $93,411 - $116,492. 234 paid days.
- Subject to furlough days approved by the Board and/or Superintendent for the 2012-2013 school year; above rates will be adjusted accordingly.
- In the case of an annualized employee who is changing basis during the year, this change may result in an annualized “settlement” (i.e., the process by which the District resolves an under or overpayment).
EXTENDED DEADLINE: April 20, 2012 – 5:00 p.m.
|Location||CA, United States|
|Organization Type||Public School|
|Grade Level||Middle School/Junior High, High School|
|Experience Years||8 yrs|
|Contact Name||Leon Reyblat|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|